BUTTERNUT SQUASH TART RECIPE
I love butternut squash so I knew I wanted to incorporate it into a tart recipe.
My four-year-old thought this was a pizza and wolfed it down, so I was already winning before I even tasted it!
The butternut squash base males this recipe a little different while being so healthy with tons of hidden veg.
I know you’re busy so you can find the recipe at the top, while further on in the post you can also find;
- The nutritional info.
- How to cook butternut squash.
- Tips for making this recipe.
Will you be trying this recipe? Let me know in the comments section below.
PLANT-BASED | VEGAN | VEGETARIAN | DAIRY-FREE
- 1 whole butternut squash peeled and diced (the smaller the better so it cooks faster)
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry I use Jus-Rol but any make would be fine
- 2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan / Gas 6.
- Dice the butternut squash into small cubes and boil
- Once the butternut squash is ready blend it into a sauce and mix in the garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and fold over each of the edges around 1-2 cm to create a frame.
- Spread the butternut squash mix over the pastry while staying within the edges you have just created.
- Spread the red onion and spinach across the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is risen and golden.
Net Carbs: 47.6g
HOW TO COOK BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Butternut Squash can sometimes be a bit slimy so I find it best to boil it if you’re going to blitz it into a sauce or roast it if you intend to eat it whole.
Don’t boil it before you roast though or it will be water logged.
TIPS TO MAKE THE RECIPE
Blend the butternut squash, it’s easier and quicker than mashing it by hand. It also makes a creamier and smoother sauce.
I use this set, it’s such a good price and you get an all in one set of a blender, food processor and mixer.
I use the ready-rolled puff pastry because I have no time to make my own. If you are some kind of domestic goddess who can run a household, manage children and make puff pastry from scratch then here is a recipe for you
MORE FROM BEET AND TWO VEG