CHOCOLATE AND BLUEBERRY Baked Oats
This were the first baked oats I ever made and the first oat recipe I ever loved!
Before this I hated oats - every recipe I tried was gloopy and had an odd texture.
These are gooey with an almost cake like texture on the inside and a crunchy outer crust.
They make a great breakfast, dessert or snack option.
Another awesome snack option that is made with oats is our Dark Chocolate and Oat Cookies. In these sweet and chunky dairy-free cookies sticky maple syrup and smooth dark chocolate chunks give the sweetness. While the oats give a heartiness and chunky texture to the cookies.
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments section below.
There are three ways that I love to serve these baked oats.
- With yoghurt and fruit for breakfast
- Topped with cream or ice cream for dessert
- Cut into half portions to have as a snack
Don't try to cut or eat these fresh from the oven as they will fall apart. It's best if you let them cool a little so they're a bit sturdier.
Don't skip lining your oven-proof dish or your mix is going to stick and it will be impossible to get the baked oats out.
if you want a more cake texture then extend the cooking time by 10 minutes. If you want a silkier texture then pull them out 10 minutes earlier than the stated cooking time.
Q: What type of oats do I need to use?
A: I use rolled oats but have also used jumbo oats in the past.
Q: What egg replacement is used?
Cooking with Kids
Even if your children are young you can still get them easily involved in this recipe. Mixing the ingredients together and helping to pour it into the oven-proof dish.
Older children can measure ingredients, or even make the whole dish as there isn't any stove work or anything too complicated involved.
more oat recipes
Blueberry and Chocolate Baked Oats
- 2 mashed banana see the tips for this recipe section to see what else you could use.
- 3 cups oats
- 1½ cup plant milk I have used almond and coconut, they both work well
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup blueberries I used fresh but frozen should work just as well
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C / 345F / Gas 3.
- Add all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and combine until you're left with a thick cake like mixture.
- Pour the mix into a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked let the baked oats cool before slicing into portions to stop it from falling apart.