Fresh onions and mushrooms in a rich tomato based bolognese sauce that has been simply spiced with pepper, mixed herbs and garlic. Add nutritous red lentils for a hit of protein and combine it all with spaghetti noodles for a filling and healthy family dinner.
This Lentil Bolognese has it all - its cheap, filling, easy and so tasty.
Even if you're not a fan of lentils you'll love this one. The lentils blend with the sauce and spaghetti in the same way that mince does in a traditional spaghetti bolognese.
For another tomato based recipe that's less heavy on the carbs check out our Tomato and Bean Bake recipe.
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments section below.
We cook the lentils in beef stock to add some meaty flavour. If this doesn't appeal to you then you can cook your lentils in veggie stock or water.
This is a versatile dish that can be paired with any vegetables. You can add diced carrot, broccoli florets, peas or even diced brussel sprouts to the tomato based sauce to use up all of your old veggies that are about to go bad.
Q: What type of lentils do I need to use?
A: I use red split lentils in this recipe as they have a better texture and flavour, plus they're easier to cook.
- <iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ss&ref=as_ss_li_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=whitrow-20&language=en_US&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B01K3TOCDI&asins=B01K3TOCDI&linkId=c62d973b357915421b623368941b788f&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true"></iframe>
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 300 g spaghetti noodles
- 300 g mushrooms
- 100 g red split lentils
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 red onion
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stock cube (optional) I use the Oxo Vegan Beef Flavour stock cube to get a meaty flavour. You can use a vegetable stock cube or omit this altogether.
- Rinse the lentils before adding them to a pan with 500ml of boiling water and the stock cube (optional). Boil the lentils for 10 minutes and then leave them simmering for a further 15 minutes. Once the lentils have softened you can drain, rinse and set them to the side.
- In a seperate pan cook the spaghetti noodles by adding them to a boiling pan for 10 minutes or until they're completely soft. Once the spaghetti noodles are cooked just drain them and set to the side.
- Dice the garlic, and roughly chop the mushrooms and red onion.
- Cook the garlic, red onion and mushrooms in a pan until the red onion is starting to soften.
- Once the onion is softened add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, the lentils, spaghetti, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- When the sauce is bubbling you know its ready so get it off the heat and serve.