tomato and bean bake
Made with fresh spinach, onions and garlic, fragrant spices and soft butter beans, and tangy chopped tomatoes. This simple Tomato and Bean Bake recipe is a filling and cheap one pan meal to save you time and money.
This is always my go-to recipe if I'm in a rush, or at the end of the month when we're a bit low on funds.
The tomato base of this dish makes it feel so rich and decadent.
If you're trying to lose weight or looking for healthy dinner options then ditch the salad and make this instead.
The butter beans are full of fibre so keep you feeling fuller for longer, they're also a superfood because they're packed with nutrients
If you love the ease of a one-pan meal then check out our Chorizo Vegetable Traybake recipe.
If, like me, chopping onions make you cry then use a food processor to blitz the onion into small chunks. Keep checking it every couple of seconds though as you don't want onion paste.
Use tinned butter beans, it's quicker and easier than needing to soak the beans before you use them.
If you do want to use dry beans then you need to soak them in the water for 8 hours. Make sure to store them in the refrigerator, not at room temperature.
MOre bake recipes
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g butter beans I use tinned butter beans
- 150 g spinach
- 2 small red onion diced
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C | 392F | Gas 6
- Finely slice the peppers, dice the red onion, and finely chop the garlic cloves.
- Add the oil to a pan and cook the peppers, onion and garlic until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, spinach, butter beans, paprika oregano and cinnamon to the pan and bring to the boil
- Add the pan to the oven (or transfer to an ovenproof dish if your pans aren't oven friendly) and bake for 20 minutes.